Home     Site Map     Village Forum     Search     Help     About us

Home Churches Home Priory Home

West Door Font Area West End of Nave The Chancel Lady Chapel Sanctuary & Altar Willis Organ History Area Side Aisles Former Chapel Old College Hall

Willis organWillis Organ

<<<<< Previous ---- Next >>>>>

In the south transept is the magnificent Willis organ of 1899. Of cathedral proportions, it is the last major instrument to be personally built by "Father" Henry Willis, the master organ builder of the Victorian era. It contains over 2,000 pipes and is one of the finest examples of an unaltered late romantic Victorian organ in the country. The carved organ case is by the workshop of James Hedley of Newcastle. The choir stalls date from 1936 and are in memory of F. J. Livesey, organist and choirmaster 1887 - 1934.

 

<<<<< Previous ---- Next >>>>>