Home     Site Map     Village Forum     Search     Help     About us

Home Churches Home Priory Home

West Door Font Area West End of Nave The Chancel Lady Chapel Sanctuary & Altar Willis Organ History Area Side Aisles Former Chapel Old College Hall

Former Chapel

<<<<< Previous ---- Next >>>>>

Old Lady ChapelThis is what may have been the Lady Chapel of the monastic church. The large arches have been filled and windows inserted, but these would have been open when the Lady Chapel was in use. It was in this area that the St. Bees Man was found in a vault in 1981 during an archaeological dig. The dig revealed the "night stairs" at the West End of the ruined wall, which the monks would use from the dormitory to attend the night services. To the south of this area is the "New College Hall", built to provide two new lecture rooms for the Theological College in 1863. The ruined wall is all that remains of the monastic buildings.

 

<<<<< Previous ---- Next >>>>>