Home     Site Map     Village Forum     Search     Help     About us

Home Parish Council Index Index to Minutes

Minutes for February 2011

Draft Minutes of the Meeting of St Bees Parish Council held on

Monday 21 February 2011 at 7.45pm in the Village Hall

PRESENT: Cllrs P Smith (in the Chair), G Gilmour, I Hill, F Kennedy, A King,

D Millington, C Robson, D Sim, V Turpin and the Clerk

Also present: Mrs B Hewetson

In attendance: PCSO Bradley

19/11 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

Apologies for absence were received from Cllrs Argyle and Moules

20/11 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

No interests were declared.

21/11 PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

There were no items raised.

22/11 MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 17 JANUARY 2011

It was RESOLVED that the minutes of the meeting held on 17 January be accepted as a true record and signed by the Chairman.

23/11 MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES

(a) Traffic Calming – CCC Local Committee had accepted the recommendations for additional traffic calming measures by Barony House and at the northern approach to the village on the B5345. A letter from a resident had appeared in the Whitehaven News suggesting that there had been no consultation with the local community. The Clerk had written a letter to the Editor in reply to explain the opportunities which had been offered to local people to be involved in the discussions and it was hoped that this would appear in the next edition.

The draft minutes of the meeting of the Traffic Calming Committee on 18 January were received. Shirley Williams from Sellafield Ltd had attended to explain the company’s perspective and was looking at ways of helping to address the traffic issues. The committee would be meeting again later in March to continue discussions about the Fairladies and Outrigg areas. Details would be posted on the notice boards.

It was RESOLVED to send a letter of thanks to Cllr Southward for his help in securing additional traffic calming measures for the village.

(b) Events Committee – The Neighbourhood Forum had awarded £650 towards the cost of village events.

(c) Repairs to notice board – An estimate for repairs was awaited.

(d) ‘Head for St Bees’ Leaflet – CCC was organising a reprint of 4000 copies which would incorporate a number of amendments suggested since the original printing. The cost would be shared with CCC, National Trust and RSPB.

It was RESOLVED that a contribution of £50 be made to printing costs.

(e) Other items from the action list :

  • Additional seat on parish council – The elections officer at CBC had confirmed that the council had formally agreed to create an additional seat for St Bees ward. This would mean that there would continue to be 14 seats on the parish council. Written confirmation was awaited.
  • High speed broadband – Information on the Broadband meets Localism conference which took place recently in Carlisle was now available on the CALC web-site, including a section on community-led projects. The County Council was working with BDUK to make arrangements for the roll-out of superfast broadband and CALC would be represented on the steering group.
  • Play area inspections – CBC had now provided an invoice for play area inspections from April 2010 and had provided a copy of the written report for each visit. The amount charged was at the figure agreed more than two years ago. For the coming year the charge would be £39.91 + VAT per month to include a written report and minor maintenance. It was noted that the spring chicken had been condemned due to rotten woodand estimates were awaited for repair/replacement.
  • Caravan Park – The Chairman agreed to provide a copy of the site licence for the caravan park.

606

24/11 ST BEES COMMON

The retrospective planning application for the hard standing at St Bees Common was almost ready for submission. It was proposed that the area would be smaller than the existing area and that the remaining land would be covered with topsoil and allowed to return to natural vegetation. The area would need to be sufficient for a tractor and trailer or similar vehicle to be parked while maintenance work was taking place.

It was RESOLVED that a retrospective application be made for an area of hard standing sufficient for two parking spaces and that details of the proposed application be sent to the Commons Group for comment before the application was submitted.

25/ 11 REPORT FROM COMMUNITY POLICE OFFICER

It was RESOLVED to bring forward this item on the agenda.

PCSO Bradley explained the changes which had taken place in the organisation of local policing. Community officers would continue to cover specific areas but would now operate from a base in Whitehaven. During the last month there had been 17 calls for service to St Bees, including 5 traffic accidents. PCSO Bradley explained that he and his colleagues were taking action about the problem of vehicles parking on the pavement and had spoken to a number of vehicle owners. It was also noted that work had been resumed at Eaglesfield lessening concerns about possible vandalism while the property was derelict.

26/11 GRASSCUTTING CONTRACT 2011/2012

Correspondence was received from the current contractor explaining that he was now unable to accept the extension of the contract for 2011/12 due to a change in his circumstances. However, he had recommended another contractor who was prepared to carry out the contract at the price already agreed. It was noted that the financial regulations required competitive quotes for work in excess of £1000 but that the time required to obtain quotations at this stage would delay the start of the contract.

It was RESOLVED that, in view of the timescale, a one year contract be offered to Greenlands Ground Maintenance with a competitive tendering exercise to take place for 2012/13 onwards. The contract price would be as previously agreed with a maximum increase of £50 to reflect the costs to the contractor of increasing the level of his public liability insurance to that required by the council.

27/11 DOCUMENT RETENTION POLICY

A draft Document Retention Policy was received.

It was RESOLVED that the policy be approved subject to the inclusion of a section dealing with methods of disposal.

28/11 LOCALITY WORKING

The Chairman presented the second draft of the West Copeland Plan for comment. Some minor corrections were noted and councillors observed that much of the plan was more relevant to Egremont than villages such as St Bees.

29/11 VILLAGE IN BLOOM COMMITTEE

The minutes of the meeting on 1 February were received and noted. Cllr Kennedy agreed to make enquiries about ownership of the land where the theft of planters had taken place.

30/11 REPORT FOR CBC

There were no items to report.

.

31/11 REPORT FOR CCC

There were no items to report.

32/11 PLANNING

(a) New applications

Three applications had been received since the last meeting but had required a response before the February parish council meeting. The applications had been considered by the Planning Advisory Group and the Clerk had sent the following response to CBC :-

607

  • Ref 4/11/2004/0F1 Extension & porch, Southrigg, Bigrigg

There was no objection to the application

  • Ref 4/11/2033/0F1 Two wind turbines, Fairladies Farm, Outrigg

An objection had been lodged on the grounds that such large structures in a prominent

elevated position in visually sensitive countryside would be inappropriate.

  • Ref 4/11/2021/0F1 Agricultural building, off Scalebarrow Rd, Abbey Vale

No site location map had been provided and further information had been requested.

(b) Approvals/refusals:-

The following decisions by CBC were noted:-

  • Listed building consent for relocation of gate, Mayfield, Finkle St (retrospective) – REFUSED
  • Extension to front bedroom and erection of porch, Southrigg, Bigrigg – APPROVED

The following decision by the Planning Inspectorate was noted:-

  • Erection of wind turbine, land adjacent to Ellerbeck Barns – APPEAL DISMISSED

33/11 FINANCE

(a) Payments to be approved

It was RESOLVED that the following accounts be approved for payment:-

  • Cheque no 001585 J DonaldsonFebruary salary £501.33 (after NI deduction)
  • Cheque no 001586 YNH Ltd – domain name renewal £34.00+VAT Total £40.80
  • Cheque no 001587 CPRE – annual membership £29.00
  • Cheque no 001588 Copeland Borough Council – play area inspections £343.60 + VAT Total £404.59
  • Cheque no 001589 Alan Armstrong –installation of display board £45.00
  • Cheque no 001590 D Millington – reimbursement for key cutting £5.50
  • Cheque no 001591 P Preston – contribution to electricity for Christmas lights £30.00

Payments since last meeting to report:-

Cheque no 001584 Mayson Bros Ltd – Supply of grit box, Fairladies car park £356.00 +VAT

Total £418.30 (payment due to avoid interest)

34/11 CORRESPONDENCE

(a) CBC had forwarded a letter from Network Rail stating that the level crossing barriers were to be replaced. Site works would take place between August 2012 and March 2013. Noted.

(b) A letter had been received from CALC about involvement in the new Cumbria Alert system. CALC’s view was that they should wait until the system was up and running and then consider what benefits it could offer. Noted.

(c) The timetable for parish council elections had been received from CALC. The notice of election would be published by 25 March and the closing date for nominations would be 4 April. Cllr Sim agreed to produce a flyer encouraging residents to stand for election which could be distributed by volunteers.

(d) Further information had been received about the Queen Elizabeth II Fields Challenge. Noted.

(e) A letter had been received from CALC inviting councils to nominate their chairman to attend a royal garden party on 29 June. A ballot would then take place to allocate the four places available. It was RESOLVED to nominate Cllr Haile subject to his agreement.

(f) An email had been received from Ian McAndrew about the village forum calendar. Despite publicity in St Bees News no-one had used the facility so he did not propose to put in March events.

INFORMATION ONLY

Temp road closure – C4035 Mirehouse Rd 21 February for approx 1 week

Westcumbria:mrws Newsletter winter 2010

Cumbrian Wildlife January 2011

Dispatches Feb 2011 (CBC Newsletter)

MRWS e-bulletin 8

2011 Census briefing

CALC Circular Feb 2011

Our Green Space – email bulletin

608

35/11 ANY OTHER BUSINESS

(a) It was reported that CCC hoped to have agreement on a new permissive path to replace the right of way affected by the recent landslip within the next few days following discussions with the adjacent landowner. The original path would remain closed and CCC staff would be on site to check that the signs had not been moved. The Wainwright Society had been asked to include warnings on their web-site for Coast to Coast walkers. It was likely that the memorial seat would have to be relocated. In the short term it would be removed for safety reasons and the Clerk was arranging storage.

CBC had provided an update on their actions. The Clerk would seek further information from CBC on whether further slips were likely.

(b) It was noted that there were no brown tourist signs encouraging people to visit the Priory. Cllr Robson would follow up the criteria for such signs.

(c) Clarification was requested on the use of quad bikes on the beach. The position is that no vehicles are permitted on the beach except for towing boats into and out of the water.

36/11 DATE OF NEXT MEETING

It was RESOLVED that the next meeting take place on Monday 21 March 2011 in the Village Hall at 7.45pm. The Annual Parish Meeting would take place at 7.00pm on Monday 18 April, immediately before the monthly parish council meeting.