Home     Site Map     Village Forum     Search     Help     About us

Home Parish Council Index Index to Minutes

Minutes for December 2012

745

Draft Minutes of the Meeting of St Bees Parish Council held on

Monday 17 December 2012 at 6.30pm in the Village Hall

PRESENT: Cllrs D Sim (in the Chair), P Argyle, B Hewetson, I Hill, K James,

F Kennedy, D Millington, S Moules, C Robson, H Strong and the Clerk

Also present: 1 member of the public (latter part of the meeting only)

196/12 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

Apologies for absence were received from Cllrs G Gilmour, J Haile and T Kelly

197/12 DISPENSATIONS & DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

Cllrs Millington and Robson declared their membership of the Wainwright Society (agenda items 7(a) and 10).

198/12 PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

No matters were raised.

199/12 MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 19 NOVEMBER 2012

It was RESOLVED that the minutes of the meeting on 19 November 2012 be approved as a true record and signed by the Chairman.

200/12 REPLACEMENT OF RAILWAY BRIDGE, SEAMILL LANE

The Chairman reported on a meeting which he and the Clerk had attended with an engineer from Network Rail. The bridge was to be completely replaced in February and a new bridge would be brought in along the beach. The road level under the bridge would need to be lowered and the height of the line raised to accommodate the new bridge. The stone supports of the bridge would remain so the width under the bridge would stay the same. Network Rail was seeking the council’s consent to use the car park and adjacent field at Seamill to house cabins and materials. Large equipment would be stored at the main CBC beach car park and would travel along the beach in view of the restricted access along Seamill Lane. Discussions had taken place with the tenant of the field and he had no objections to the parish council allowing use of the land providing the hens could remain. Network Rail had supplied a draft licence agreement which covered the rent to be paid for use of the land and the undertaking to restore the land to its original condition on completion of the work. During the time that work was taking place on the land under the bridge and when the bridge replacement was taking place, no vehicle or pedestrian access would be allowed. Network Rail had stated that they were in discussions with the residents of the properties involved and were willing to offer hotel accommodation if required. It was noted that the dates for the work given by the Network Rail engineer were slightly different from those provided to CBC by the contractor and confirmation had been requested.

Network Rail had indicated that they would move the millstone before the work took place and would place it in its new position on completion. They had also agreed to do some other minor work whilst on site such as moving some of the boulders to more appropriate locations and re-fencing the field.

It was RESOLVED that Network Rail be allowed to use the car park and adjacent field during the bridge replacement work and that the Chairman be authorised to sign the licence agreement on behalf of the council. A letter would be sent to Network Rail with the signed agreement listing the other works which they had offered to carry out whilst on site.

201/12 FINANCE

(a)Monthly financial report

The summary of accounts at 30 November was received and noted. Cllr Strong pointed out that the projects budget was underspent and asked project leaders to provide firm estimates as soon

746

as possible of the anticipated spends in the current year. It was noted that the full allocation of £3000 for traffic calming would be required but it was not clear whether the project would now run into 2013/14. Similar uncertainty existed on the timing of the payment for the play area project.

(b) Budget 2013/14

Cllr Strong and the Clerk were working to produce a draft budget shortly for consideration by the Finance & Risk Group before coming to the full council for a decision in January. The decision on whether local councils would be covered by the rules on ‘capping’ had not yet been received. There were also likely to be changes to the parish council tax base as a result of changes in the way council tax benefit and exemptions were funded by central government. The main area of uncertainty remained the impact of possible cuts in CBC expenditure and the possibility of additional expenditure having to be met by the parish council. Whilst some additional expenditure might be covered by reductions in spending in other areas it was generally agreed that part of the additional expenditure should be covered by an increase in precept.

It was noted that CBC had requested provisional information on likely precepts by 18 December.

It was RESOLVED that the council should include prudent provision in the budget for additional expenditure in the event of the council having to accept additional liabilities for the beach toilets and that a provisional precept figure of £32,160 be given to CBC with a final decision being made at the next meeting when the government position was known.

(c)Payments

It was RESOLVED that the following payments be approved:–

  • · Cheque no 01783 CBC- play area inspection £39.91+ VAT Total £47.89
  • · Cheque no 01784 G Gilmour –reimbursement for Christmas tree £120.00 + VAT Total £1415.00
  • · Cheque no 01785 M Thurlwell – reimbursement for refreshments etc Christmas event £118.69 + VAT Total £133.69
  • · Cheque no 01786 J Donaldson –clerk salary Dec £504.30 + postage £6.00 Total £510.30
  • · Cheque no 01787 United Utilities Water PLC – allotment water Total £15.34

Cheques signed since last meeting to report:-

  • Cheque no 001778 St Bees Village Hall Committee – donation to cover use of hall & facilities £500.00 (agreed at last meeting)
  • Cheque no 001779 St Bees Priory PCC – donation to costs of parish magazine £600.00 (agreed at last meeting)
  • Cheque no 001780 Royal British Legion – donation £45.00 (agreed at last meeting)
  • Cheque no 001781 Friends of the Priory – donation £40.00 (agreed at last meeting)
  • Cheque no 001782 FLAG –membership fee & donation £40.00 (agreed at last meeting)

202/12 PROJECTS

(a)Beach Regeneration & Play Area Project

A paper was to be put to CBC Executive shortly seeking approval for a lease to be granted to the parish council and for CBC to act as the accountable body for the project. Once this approval was received funding applications would be prepared for the council’s approval.

Further correspondence had been received from the Wainwright Society about their wish to provide a new information board to mark the start of the Coast to Coast Walk. They hoped to unveil the board at a Society event on 25 May and were seeking views from the council on the location, specification and materials. It was agreed that the new board should replace the existing information panel on the Wainwright wall. It was also suggested that better signage was


747

needed at the beach area to guide walkers to the information board and that the paving flags round the monument be extended, using the parish lengthsman if possible.

As a lower priority, it was suggested that there should be signage at the railway station to show walkers how to indicate the way to the start. This could be a general tourist feature, and could help to channel some walkers via the Priory along a “pre-Wainwright” route. A route down the Dandy Walk was suggested. The Chairman asked councillors to make any further suggestions to him, so an initial plan can be developed.

It was RESOLVED that the Chairman circulate possible ideas for comment before responding to the Wainwright Society.

(b) Community Events

The Christmas event organised jointly with the RNLI had been very well attended with a large number of children coming to see Santa turn on the tree lights. It was noted that there had been no mention of the parish council’s involvement in the local press coverage. This led to a general debate on publicity for the council, and Cllr Robson volunteered to write press releases on future parish council events.

(c) Traffic Calming

Cllr Millington reported that he was discussing with Cllr Southward the possibility of additional funding for the physical traffic calming measures and he would provide a further report as soon as possible. If the funding was not sufficient to meet all the work the project would be tailored to the resources available. A site meeting had taken place with the Traffic Engineer to look at problems of congestion on Outrigg following the installation of the new pavement. It had been agreed that a short section of yellow lines would be put at the end of the pavement closest to the school entrance to allow more room for two-way traffic to pass. There had been positive feedback from a parent who felt that the pavement had increased the safety of pedestrians. An application was being prepared for a grant from the Neighbourhood Forum to finance the purchase of the speed gun and this would be put forward for approval at the next meeting. Cllr Moules agreed to attend the Forum to speak in support of the application.

(d) Tree planting

A volunteer had come forward to help with the project. The Chairman would be contacting him shortly.

(e) Walks Booklets

Cllrs Sim and Robson were looking at options for producing the booklet.

203/12 SELLAFIELD TRAVEL ISSUES

A report by the Chairman on the meeting held at Yottenfews Farm on to communicate about the Sellafield travel and infrastructure project on 5 December was received and noted. The restrictions on car parking on the Sellafield site and the move to locate as many staff as possible off-site would have significant effects on traffic flows and public transport provision. The Albion Square development was of particular concern as this could result in traffic travelling both north and south through St Bees at peak times.

A “communities” focus group was being held at CBC on 10 December but parish representation was uncertain. Consequently he SBPC Chairman had raised the matter at the three-tier meeting the day after and had been nominated to attend the focus group as parish representative.

Attending the focus group meeting on 10 December the SBPC Chairman reported that it had been an intensive three hours, mainly based on “community” so had been concerned with issues not directly relevant to traffic issues in St Bees. But it appeared there was no definite plan yet in place to deal with the changes in traffic flows associated with the Albion Square and other developments.

It seemed likely that there would be an additional train in the afternoon to fill a gap in the timetable, thus making 22 stopping passenger trains a day. The SBPC Chairman had been able

748

to draw attention to the St Bees Neighbourhood Plan now in development and the lack of an off-road cycle track from St Bees to the rest of the network.

204/12 MEETING OF CBC/CCC/PARISH COUNCILS

The Chairman’s report of the three-tier meeting on 5 December was received and noted. There had been a good attendance from parishes and there had been a lively debate on the Sellafield traffic issues. The SBPC Chairman had stated that little road improvement accrues from the B5345 being a strategic route from Sellafield, but that status had sadly resulted in the village 20 mph speed limit being removed.

It had been agreed that the regular three tier meetings should continue. The SBPC Chairman had urged CBC to be more pro-active in bringing items to the agenda.

205/12 ROTTINGTON BECK BRIDGE

A report on the recent meeting with the CCC project manager and other interested parties was received and noted. A new bridge is to be supplied, but there are complications regarding the stability of the ground on the north side, which may delay start of work until May. Councillors were very concerned that work on installing the new bridge would not begin until then. Although Mr Milburn was allowing access through the caravan park as a temporary measure it did not give a good first impression for walkers coming to begin the Coast to Coast Walk. It was particularly regrettable as the Wainwright Society was hoping to organise a special event in spring 2013 to mark the 40th anniversary of the walk.

It was RESOLVED that a letter be sent to the County Council with copies to the Wainwright Society, CBC, Cllr Southward and the MP expressing serious concern at the delay in providing a replacement bridge.

206/12 REVIEW OF STANDING ORDERS

A number of detailed comments had been received. The Chairman proposed that a small group be set up to consider the comments and produce a final draft for approval by the council.

It was RESOLVED that the Chairman, Vice Chairman, Cllr Millington and the Clerk meet in the new year to produce a revised draft for approval.

207/12 PLANNING

(a)New applications

The following applications had been received for comment:

  • · Ref 4/12/2539/OF1 Application to replace extent permission to extend time limit for implementation (4/09/2550 renewal of permission to remove non-traditional building & convert 2 traditional buildings to form 2 residential units) – Town Head Farm, Main St

It was RESOLVED that there were no objections to this application

  • 4/12/2543/OC1 Application for replacement of conservation area consent to extend time limit for implementation – Town Head Farm Main St

It was RESOLVED that there were no objections to this application.

  • 4/12/2541/0F1 Improved vehicle access and alterations to car park plus construction of 8 new houses – Adams Recreation Ground, Beach Road

It was RESOLVED that there were no objections to this application providing adequate arrangements were made for drainage.

(b) Applications approved/refused

  • · Replacement of flat roof with tiled roof, Melbreak, Nethertown Rd – APPROVED
  • · Two storey extension, Long Edge, Linethwaite – APPROVED
  • · Tree Works, St Bees Priory – PART APPROVED.

749

208/12 OUTSTANDING ITEMS FROM THE ACTION LIST

The Clerk reported on progress with the following matters:-

Abbotts Way – Beach Rd Footpath – The Clerk had written to the owners of the properties next to the path to inform them of the proposed plan to tarmac the path. Some concerns had been raised about drainage and fence supports which had been passed to CCC for their comment.

Lights, Beach car park – CCC would be inspecting the lights under their maintenance contract with CBC.

Street light No 10 on the footbridge – Highways had referred the issue back to CBC as it is a supply fault and needs to be reported to the distributor. The Clerk was contacting CBC to expedite the matter.

Memorial seat, Tomlin – Cllr Southward had reassured the donors that progress was being made to formalise the agreement on the new route of the footpath.

Millstone relocation – The Senior Planning Officer had confirmed in writing that the relocation would be classed as permitted development and no planning application was required. She had also approved the proposed new location. Copies of her email had been forwarded to Network Rail who would do the work when the bridge replacement work took place.

Main Noticeboard repair – Repairs were still required. Cllr Argyle agreed to contact the joiner who provided the original quote to progress matters.

209/12 REPORT FROM COMMUNITY POLICE OFFICER

No report had been received.

210/12 REPORT FOR CBC

There were no items to report. The Clerk would ask the lengthsman to provide a quote for placing additional slabs around the Wainwright wall and seek CBC agreement to the work.

211/12 REPORT FOR CCC

The Clerk would contact Highways before the next meeting to ask for time-scales for completing the repairs listed in the comprehensive highways survey last summer.

212/12 CORRESPONDENCE

(a)A consultation document had been received from CCC on draft budget proposals for 2013-2014. The document is available on the CCC web-site. Paper copies are available from the Clerk. It was agreed that this would be included as an agenda item in January.

(b)An email had been received from Jon Raymond about a proposal to hold a trail run following the route of St Bega’s Way on 31 August 2013. The route (35 miles) would use mainly public rights of way with some short sections of road. Noted.

(c) Correspondence had been received from CALC encouraging local councils in Copeland to lobby CBC to prevent the grant to CALC being removed from the CBC budget. The letter had been received too late to be taken into account in the response to the CBC consultation. Noted.

(d) A letter had been received from the Open Spaces Society seeking a donation to help their campaign against proposed government changes to the legislation on village greens. It was RESOLVED not to make a donation as the budget allocation for donations was fully spent.

(e) A letter had been received from CBC confirming that the full council had formally designated St Bees civil parish as a neighbourhood plan area. Noted.

ITEMS FOR INFORMATION

CALC Circular December/January

Cumbria Coastal Access Monthly Update December 2012

FLAG Newsletter December 2012

Fieldwork Winter 2012

750

Notification of chevron replacement A66 Fitz Roundabout and A595 Hensingham Roundabout Dec/Jan

CCC Newsletter November 2012

Neighbourhood Forum Newsletter

213/12 ITEMS FOR INFORMATION

(a)It was noted that the Village School Association had been successful in their application for funding from the Copeland Community Fund for their project to provide an outdoor classroom and improved playground facilities at the village school. Work would begin in the new year and the fixed play equipment would be available for children to use out of school hours.

(b)Cllr Hill reported that some accommodation in the Copeland Centre was shortly to be let to Sellafield Ltd as office accommodation as part of CBC’s plans to generate additional income. It was likely that the Beacon would be saved from closure as Sellafield Ltd had expressed interest in using it as a visitor centre.

214/12 DATE & TIME OF NEXT MEETING

It was RESOLVED that the next meeting take place on Monday 21 January at 7.00pm in the Village Hall.

Signed……………………………. Date……………………..