Home     Site Map     Village Forum     Search     Help     About us

Home Parish Council Index Index to Minutes

816

Draft Minutes of the Meeting of St Bees Parish Council held on

Monday 16 December 2013 at 7.00pm in the Village Hall

PRESENT: Cllrs D Sim (in the Chair), N Bettinson, G Gilmour, B Hewetson, I Hill, K James,

F Kennedy, D Millington, S Moules, C Robson, H Strong and the Clerk

 

205/13 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

Apologies for absence were received from Cllr P Argyle and also from Cllr H Wormstrup (CCC ward councillor).

 

206/13 DISPENSATIONS & DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

There were no declarations of interest.

 

207/13 PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

No members of the public were present.

 

208/13 MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 18 NOVEMBER 2013

It was RESOLVED that the minutes of the meeting on 18 November 2013 be approved as a true record and signed by the Chairman.

 

209/13 CONSULTATION ON SITE SELECTION PROCESS FOR GEOLOGICAL DISPOSAL FACILITY

A response to the consultation had been submitted as agreed at the last meeting. The response was now available on the web-site. A letter had also been sent to Baroness Verma. The deadline for responding to the consultation, for failed email submissions, had been extended to 19 December as there had been problems with the email address given in the consultation document. Following the consultation it was expected that a White Paper would be published in summer 2014.

The Chairman explained that there had been a House of Lords Committee hearing at which several peers had questioned the government’s willingness to engage with the public. It was agreed that the link to the video and transcript would be circulated and a further discussion take place at the next meeting.

 

210/13 FINANCE

(a)Finance report

The summary of accounts at 30 November was received and noted. The Finance & Risk Advisory Group would be meeting early in January to review the position at the end of quarter 3 and would provide a report to the next meeting.

 

(b) Budget 2014/15

The deadline for notification of the precept to CBC had been extended to 31 January to allow parish council representatives to attend briefing sessions on the effect of the council tax support grant on parish precepts. The government’s decision on whether precepts would be subject to capping was expected shortly. The provisional figures provided by CBC for the council tax support grant indicated that even if the budget requirement for 2014/15 remained the same as for 2013/14 it would result in an increase in the precept. Cllr Strong and the Clerk would produce a draft budget to be discussed by FRAG early in January prior to consideration at the next meeting.

 

(c) Grasscutting Contract 2014/15

A decision was required on whether to extend the current contract for a further year. There had been no concerns over the performance of the contract this year and the contractor was willing to continue for a further year on the same terms.

It was RESOLVED to renew the existing contract for 2014/15.

 

 

817

(d)Payments

It was RESOLVED that the following accounts be approved for payment:-

  • Cheque 001895 YNH Ltd– domain name renewal for 2 years (stbees.org.uk) £17.00 + £3.40 VAT Total £20.40
  • Cheque 001896 CBC – NNDR Beach toilets 3rd instalment Total £85.00
  • Cheque 001897 United Utilities –toilets water and sewerage charges 2/10 to 26/11 Total £304.94
  • Cheque 001898 United Utilities –allotment water charges 30/8 to 27/11 Total £14.30
  • Cheque 001899 K Nesbitt – reimbursement for purchase of planters (VIB) £105.00 + £21.00 VAT Total £126.00
  • Cheque 001900 Printpoint – reprinting of walks leaflets Total £149.00
  • Cheque 001901 J Donaldson – reimbursement for postage £9.20, printer cartridge £23.99 +£4.80 Total £37.99
  • Cheque 001902 J Donaldson – Clerk salary Dec 2013 nett £651.51
  • Standing Order -Thomas Milburn (Property) Ltd – beach toilet service Dec £583.33 + £116.67 VAT Total £700.00
  • Cheque 001903 M Thurlwell – reimbursement for expenses for Christmas event £ + £ VAT
  • Cheque 001904 HMRC – 3 rd quarter PAYE - £38.20

Cheques signed since last meeting to report:-

  • Cheque no 001887 – G Gilmour- reimbursement for Christmas tree purchase £188.00
  • Cheque no 001888 –Royal British Legion – donation £50.00
  • Cheque 001889 – FLAG –subscription & donation £50.00
  • Cheque 001890 – Friends of the Priory – donation £50.00
  • Cheque 001891 – 1st St Bees Scouts – donation £50.00
  • Cheque 001892 – Village Hall Committee – donation £500.00
  • Cheque 001893 – St Bees PCC – donation to parish magazine £650.00
  • Cheque 001894 – D Sim - reimbursement for parts for tree lights £22.98 + VAT Total £27.58

 

211/13 PROJECTS

(a)Beach Regeneration

(i) Play Area

A decision on the planning application was still awaited. CBC Legal Department had produced a draft lease which had been considered by the parish council’s solicitor and the wording had now been agreed by both solicitors. Vehicle access would be from the track by the lifeboat station. It was noted that the grant from WREN could not be finalised until the lease was signed and planning consent was received. The Clerk would circulate a copy of the project implementation plan so that councillors could monitor progress of the project.

The terms of the draft lease were then considered.

It was RESOLVED that the terms of the lease be approved and the Chairman and Vice Chairman be authorised to sign the lease on behalf of the council.

 

(ii)Coast to Coast Banner

An estimate was being sought for repairing and re-fixing the banner.

 

(iii)Landscaping Brief

Cllr Hill reported that 11 companies had submitted bids to provide a brief for landscaping the area at the northern end of the beach. The successful bid was from Groundwork and an initial meeting would take place on 13 January.

 

 

818

(b) Traffic Calming

Cllr Moules reported that the Speedwatch scheme would be in operation in January.

 

Cllr Millington reported that a meeting had taken place with the Traffic Engineer and representatives of residents from Outrigg Close and the Village School to discuss traffic problems on Outrigg.

It was proposed that the broken white line across the entrance to Outrigg Close would be repainted and ‘Keep Clear’ markings would be painted on the road. Dr McAndrew had offered to seek the consent of residents, if required, as this is an unadopted road. Similar markings would also be placed on the school entrance. It was hoped that these measures could be put in place relatively quickly as no traffic regulation order was required. In the longer term the Traffic Engineer had recommended double yellow lines extending from the zig-zag markings across the Outrigg Close entrance to the start of the houses but this would require a traffic regulation order. In the meantime the Traffic Engineer would be writing to the police to ask for more enforcement at school times and he would also request visits by the parking enforcement team.

It was RESOLVED to write to the police to support Mr Cosgrove’s request for more effective enforcement of the parking restrictions.

 

(c) Walks Booklets

An order had been placed for reprints of some of the leaflets. Cllr Robson reported that the map to be used for the information board at the beach shelter was now finished and he was seeking quotations for manufacturing a suitable board.

 

(d) Community Events

Cllr Gilmour reported that the Christmas event had gone well with the RNLI receiving donations of £451. A letter had been received from Mrs Thurlwell thanking the council for their help with the event. The Christmas tree had arrived on schedule and had been very reasonably priced. Thanks were expressed to Cllr Kennedy for co-ordinating arrangements for putting up the tree and to Cllr Hewetson for her help with transporting the tree. The Clerk had sent a letter of thanks to Studsvik for their donation.

 

(e) Office Improvements

Cllr Sim reported that work had started to clear the office at the Village Hall.

 

(f) Tree Planting

Cllr Bettinson reported that he was in discussion with the Bursar at St Bees School about the possibility of planting trees on land owned by the school.

 

212/13 NEIGHBOURHOOD PLAN

It was hoped to organise a meeting with the volunteers involved in January.

 

213/13 CLERK’S REPORT

The Clerk reported on the following matters:-

  • Cllr Kennedy had contacted St Bees School and it was proposed that the meeting take place on Monday 27 January.
  • The light on the ‘give way’ sign at the Outrigg/Main St junction had now been repaired.
  • It had not been possible to organise the discussion with Cllr Morgan and appropriate officers at this meeting. They had been invited to attend the January meeting. It was agreed that the discussion would focus on progress with implementing the flood prevention measures agreed earlier this year, particularly for the High House Rd area.
  • The casual vacancy had been advertised on the noticeboards and in the parish magazine with expressions of interest to be submitted before the January meeting.

 

819

  • The grant from CCC for the play area project had now been paid into the parish council account.
  • Northern Rail had made a donation of £50 to the Village in Bloom Committee to help them replace the planters stolen earlier this year.
  • The state of the ramp at the main beach had been reported to CBC. They would carry out repairs but were not able to give a timescale.

 

214/13 PLANNING

(a) New Applications

The Planning Advisory Group reported on the following applications received for comment:

 

  • Ref 4/13/2488/0F1 Two storey extension with raised deck & single storey garage to front –

revised scheme

Miramare, Egremont Rd, St Bees

It was RESOLVED that there were no objections to this application.

 

  • Ref 4/13/2494/0F1 Erection of prefabricated garage and re-laying of driveway

Lancaster House,5 Finkle Street, St Bees

It was RESOLVED that there were no objections to this application.

 

(b) Applications approved/refused

The following decisions by CBC were noted:

  • Listed Building Consent for internal refurbishment and new portico entrance – Manor House, St Bees APPROVED
  • Internal refurbishment and new portico entrance – Manor House, St Bees APPROVED
  • Installation of 30 solar monocrystalline panels on roof of barn – Springbank Farm, High Walton APPROVED

 

215/13 REPORT FROMCOMMUNITY POLICE OFFICER

No report was available but correspondence had been received from PCSO Kane in connection with the issues relating to the Main Street area. The Clerk would follow up the action agreed at the last meeting at a later date if the problems recurred.

 

216/13 CBC ISSUES

It was noted that the deadline for comments on the budget consultation was 20 December.

The Clerk had sought further information from CBC on how the budget is currently allocated but no information had been provided.

At the Three Tier Meeting on 10 December there had been a presentation on changes to the electoral registration system. The Clerk would circulate some briefing notes.

 

217/13 CCC ISSUES

Further information had been received about the removal of subsidies for bus services proposed in the budget consultation. Figures for total passenger numbers and costs per journey were available but did not show how many passengers from St Bees used the services. The services affected which serve St Bees would be the 26, 835 & X6. It was felt that the loss of a weekday service to Egremont would cause particular problems for people attending the GP surgeries in Egremont.

It was RESOLVED to write to CCC to stress the importance of retaining a service to Egremont.

 

Cllr Sim explained that whilst investigating the bus issues he had also received information about the Copeland Rail Users Group (CRUG). David Andrews of the group had offered to come and give a presentation to the parish council. It was agreed that this be deferred for a few months in light of the council’s heavy programme of work.

 

820

Cllr Millington and the Clerk would be attending a presentation by Cumbria Highways on Thurs 19 December when Highways would be re-launching the Better Highways scheme and introducing the staff who would be involved with each parish.

 

218/13 CORRESPONDENCE

(a) A letter had been received from the Open Spaces Society seeking a donation to help with the costs of their work in responding to planning applications and consultations and campaigning to protect areas of common land. It was RESOLVED that no donation be made on this occasion.

(b) A letter had been received from the Hadrian’s Wall Trust publicising the launch of a new on-line fundraising campaign where people or local groups could adopt a section of wall. They would be contacting the parish council again shortly with an opportunity to adopt a turret for the parish. Noted.

(c) A letter had been received from CBC confirming that the Local Plan Core Strategy and Development Management Policies had been formally adopted by CBC on 5 December 2013. Noted.

(d) Notification received of the Copeland Partnership event to take place on 15 January at the Management Centre, St Bees School. It was agreed that it would be appropriate for the Parish Council to be represented. The Clerk would circulate the information and would register the names of those interested.

(e) A copy of correspondence was received between Mr R Stout and St Bees School. It was agreed that this would be considered at the next meeting.

FOR INFORMATION

Cumbria Coastal Access Monthly Update December 2013

CALC Circular December/January

FLAG Annual report

Dispatches Dec 2013

Connecting Cumbria Newsletter Nov 13

Hadrian’s Wall Country Newsletter

Cumbria Playing Fields Association Annual Report 2012/13

 

203/13 ITEMS FOR INFORMATION

(a) It was noted that the signal box had been designated as a listed building for architectural merit. It is one of the few Arts & Crafts signal boxes in the country and was designed by the Lancaster architects who built much of St Bees School.

(b) It was noted that the Adams Recreation Ground Committee had now secured a short term loan to cover expenses pending the sale of the land.

(c) Cllr Kennedy reported that the Beach Bash and Hell on the Harbourside were to be publicised in the Whitehaven News. It was agreed that Cllr Kennedy or the Chairman would deal with press enquiries.

(d) Cllr Kennedy reported that a gas leak had been found on Finkle Street. Repair work had been carried out but the excavation had still not been refilled.

(e) Cllr Hill reported on issues affecting West Cumberland Hospital. The staffing problems were not unique to WCH but were common to other areas. There would be fundamental changes in the way care was provided with greater use of nurse practitioners and less reliance on junior doctors. Cllr Hill also provided copies of several articles from the BMJ which the Clerk would circulate to councillors on request.

 

204/13 DATE & TIME OF NEXT MEETING

It was RESOLVED that the next monthly meeting take place on Monday 20 January 2014 at 7.00pm in the Village Hall.