11 replies to this topic

#1 -Oy-

-Oy-

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:56 AM

Hi all

I've heard so many good things about St Bees over the years that the time has come to check it out!

My family and I will be in St Bees October 21st for a week.

I'm a keen photographer and walker so any tips would be greatfully received smile.gif
------------------------------------
Take nothing but photographs.
Leave nothing but footprints.

#2 Begadoc

Begadoc

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 04:59 PM

What sort of walks are you after - see Walking on the St Bees site. These are the available local walks. Further afield, well, you are in the Lake district!

Photography. I've found the village very photogenic. See this site for some local photos. The Priory is a lovely building to photograph, but at present it is having the roof repaired. Should be open by the time you come but work is already 4 weeks or so behind, so we are almost into September already!

One thing I can be sure of is that you will enjoy your visit. Have fun!

#3 -Oy-

-Oy-

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 06:38 PM

Thanks smile.gif

We'll be doing a fair bit of Lakeland walking - the NW Fells are my least explored!

Which is the best route to take by car to get to St Bees - coming from the Manchester area?

#4 Mike Oxlong

Mike Oxlong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:I am currently studying the ancient Cumbrian art of 'azgarnyam', which is a way of getting out of conflict situation by fleeing to the warmth of your own house.

Posted 24 June 2006 - 08:24 PM

The quickest is probably M6 to Penrith and then west along the A66 through Keswick. Head towards Workington, but after passing Cockermouth look out for the turn towards Whitehaven, which is on a roundabout. Head along the A595 past Whitehaven, and look for a turn to St Bees.
Alternatively, if you want a bit of a view, turn off on the Kendal junction (36), and go through Windermere and Ambleside to get to Keswick
Some people go the southern way, which also entails getting off the motorway at junction 36, but you turn off the Kenday bypass and head towards Barrow in Furness. After Newby Bridge and Backbarrow, look for a right turn at Greenodd, and head towards Broughton in Furness and Millom, but you are now following signs for Whitehaven and Workington, heading north on the A595. Look out for the St Bees turning before you get to Egremont, and just follow the road.
All routes take pretty much the same time, give or take 20 minutes. The Windermere route is not recommended on a Friday night, because of visitor traffic.
Hope this helps OY
Mike

#5 -Oy-

-Oy-

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 08:52 PM

That's a big help Mike - thanks! smile.gif

I think the A66 sounds best - although I'd have to fight the urge to stop off and climb Blencathra on the way past - my fave fell biggrin.gif

#6 Alex B

Alex B

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 08:11 AM

You'll have a fabulous time in St Bees. The best route from Manchester is M6 to Penrith, then the A595 to Whitehaven. The road from Penrith is only around 50 miles, but it's a long 50 miles (if you know what I mean). Very picturesque though. St Bees approx 10 mins from centre (but a whole world away from the hustle and bustle of the town centre smile.gif ).

Enjoy!

#7 mary

mary

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 01:02 PM

We got lovely sunsets over the sea here too, and Autumn is good for photographing them

Enjoy your stay

#8 -Oy-

-Oy-

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 07:40 PM

Thanks again smile.gif

Only 5 weeks to go biggrin.gif

#9 Begadoc

Begadoc

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 08:40 PM

Not sure if I would recommend the Barrow route either. That road has the distinction of making me feel car sick once - and I was driving!
Also, on a Friday afternoon/evening the Sellafield contractors are heading south. Scared me half to death on Corney Fell the one occasion I forgot and came back that way against the traffic.
Definitely the Penrith route. May be longer but definitely faster.

Pity the Priory is closed fro renovations - it is a very photogenic building.

#10 pearsonabbey

pearsonabbey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Anything legal, decent and wholesome.

Posted 08 October 2006 - 04:06 PM

I travelled back and forth to Wigan for work every day from St.Bees (a round trip of 250 miles) . I felt that coming off the M6 at Junction 36 and coming via the A590 and over Ulpha and Birker fells were, what must be the most beautiful runs to work ever. If only the boring part (M6 south of Lancaster) could be made prettier. I have to agree with the previous correspondent the A66 from Penrith is a l-o-n-g drag.

#11 -Oy-

-Oy-

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 05:31 PM

Thanks smile.gif

The other route I'd considered was up to Ambleside then over Wrynose & Hardnott passes.

Less than 2 weeks now biggrin.gif

#12 Avery Bird

Avery Bird

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:00 PM

So how was the visit??

0 user(s) are reading this topic