7 replies to this topic

#1 LancashireLad

LancashireLad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:10 PM

Hi

I am looking for information on my Great Grandad, William Jamse McGrady. My uncle says that William was born in St Bees, yet on Williams Military papers He states he was from St Mary's parrish in Carlisle, would these two places be linked would any one know?

Many thanks

LancashireLad.

#2 dotwalker

dotwalker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:37 AM

Hello Lancashire Lad

I'll try to find some info on William McGrady if you tell me when he was born. His age at date of enlistment should be stated on his army papers.

Dot

#3 LancashireLad

LancashireLad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:44 AM

Hello Dot

William John McGrady,(Born 1841). states his age as 18&3/4 when he joined in 1858, his sign up papers say he was born in the parrish of St Mary's Carlisle. I have tracked down details on a William Mcgrady born in St Bees in 1841, however another person contacted me through Ancestry and told me I had the wrong McGrady.

My uncle tells me his grandfather William John did come from ST Bee's.

On Williams Marriage details he married a Sarah Brinnen in Ireland in 1866,Sarah Brinnen is the maiden name of my Grandfather's mother on his birth certificate.

Many thanks

LancashireLad

View Postdotwalker, on 09 October 2011 - 10:37 AM, said:

Hello Lancashire Lad

I'll try to find some info on William McGrady if you tell me when he was born. His age at date of enlistment should be stated on his army papers.

Dot

#4 dotwalker

dotwalker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:06 PM

Now Iím not sure whether we are looking for William James McGrady, as you said in your first post, or William John, as you say at the beginning of your last!

I agree that the William McGrady born in Whitehaven St Bees in 1841 has to be ruled out, as between 1871 and 1901 he was married to a woman called Jane and was a blacksmith in Arrowthwaite, Whitehaven.

Your William married Sarah Brinnen. After leaving the army he lived in Sheffield on his army pension and he also worked as a labourer. In 1881 he had his Brinnen in-laws living with him. Three of his children (Jane 12, Thresa,10, and William, 5), were born in India, where William senior presumably served as a soldier. In his military papers and in the 1881 and 1901 Censuses he gave his birthplace as Carlisle; but confusingly, in 1891 he said he was born in Scotland.

So far I haven't found a William McGrady born in Carlisle registration district. To be continued....

Dot

#5 LancashireLad

LancashireLad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:15 AM

Morning Dot

Sorry about the confusion, it is William JOHN we are looking for. I have all the post army information, it is just 1841-1858 I am looking for.
B)

View Postdotwalker, on 09 October 2011 - 11:06 PM, said:

Now Iím not sure whether we are looking for William James McGrady, as you said in your first post, or William John, as you say at the beginning of your last!

I agree that the William McGrady born in Whitehaven St Bees in 1841 has to be ruled out, as between 1871 and 1901 he was married to a woman called Jane and was a blacksmith in Arrowthwaite, Whitehaven.

Your William married Sarah Brinnen. After leaving the army he lived in Sheffield on his army pension and he also worked as a labourer. In 1881 he had his Brinnen in-laws living with him. Three of his children (Jane 12, Thresa,10, and William, 5), were born in India, where William senior presumably served as a soldier. In his military papers and in the 1881 and 1901 Censuses he gave his birthplace as Carlisle; but confusingly, in 1891 he said he was born in Scotland.

So far I haven't found a William McGrady born in Carlisle registration district. To be continued....

Dot

#6 dotwalker

dotwalker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:14 PM

View PostLancashireLad, on 10 October 2011 - 08:15 AM, said:

Morning Dot

Sorry about the confusion, it is William JOHN we are looking for. I have all the post army information, it is just 1841-1858 I am looking for.
B)

I know you are looking for hard facts and I think the only way forward with this is to forget what you have been told and start again. As you have three fairly hard facts, ie three statements that he was born in Carlisle, that is where you should be looking. If you have drawn a blank there, well, there was a lot of movement across the Border between Carlisle and Dumfries, and you can't rule out the possibility that he was born in Scotland, as he said in the 1891 Census. He could have been the son of a travelling Irish labourer---like the William McGrady b. 1818 who appears in the 1861 Scottish Census at Sanquhar in Dumfries.

I am sending you a Personal Message with another suggestion, which I hope will be useful.

Cheers, Dot

#7 dotwalker

dotwalker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:28 AM

PS Sorry, I seem to have lost sight of your original question, whether there was any particular link between St Bees and St Mary's Carlisle. I don't know of any. But at this time there were a lot of itinerant workers who went where the jobs were. They could have travelled by rail, if they could afford it, but the majority walked. It was normal for men to walk very long distances to find work, and there would have been more opportunities in Carlisle than in St Bees.

Dot

#8 LancashireLad

LancashireLad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:55 AM

Morning Dot

Many thanks for all the work you have put into my enquiry, iI do apprecaite it. I will now look at the Cumbria website.

once again thank you.

LancashireLad

View Postdotwalker, on 12 October 2011 - 08:28 AM, said:

PS Sorry, I seem to have lost sight of your original question, whether there was any particular link between St Bees and St Mary's Carlisle. I don't know of any. But at this time there were a lot of itinerant workers who went where the jobs were. They could have travelled by rail, if they could afford it, but the majority walked. It was normal for men to walk very long distances to find work, and there would have been more opportunities in Carlisle than in St Bees.

Dot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users