Jubilee of Priory Bells
The Jubilee of the Bells in 1908
In 1908 the Jubilee of the bells was celebrated in grand style. A special service was held, for which a specially composed Hymn for the St. Bees Ringers was written by Canon H. D. Rawnsley, co-founder of the National Trust and a great supporter of Cumberland Bell Ringing.
Later there was a Grand Dinner at the Seacote Hotel with various village and church worthies present, and many toasts, songs and speeches were enjoyed. The photo shown here is almost certanly from that occasion.
Left to right:
Edwin Harding, Isaac Marsden,
Rev Hartley (Curate), Mossop Sharpe, Willy Mason (in doorway), Elmer Lawson, Bob Stafford,
Mr Wearing (Tower Captain), Mr Dixon, Will Mawson, & Tom Park.
Mossop Sharpe was one of the original band of ringers which was formed in 1858 when the ring of eight bells was installed.
Fifty years later he was still an active ringer, when he was 80 years of age. Described as of a “retiring disposition and unmarried” and a tailor by trade, his other spare time interest was firearms, and at his death in 1916 aged 87, he had a collection of over 90 guns.